Another month, another Fresh Taste Table. This Sunday, March 13, two lovely and talented volunteers are sharing some new ways to prepare sweet potatoes and kale. We’re posting the recipes early for you all. First up: a Moroccan-inspired twist on sweet potatoes.
Make sure you stop by the table on Sunday to say hi and to test-drive the finished product for yourself.
Moroccan-Spiced Potato Medley
Printable version of recipe
- 2 t. olive oil
- 1 med. onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 ½ t. ground cumin
- 1 ½ t. ground coriander
- 1 t. salt
- ¼ t. cayenne pepper
- 2 med. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾ in. pieces
- 1 can (14 oz.) stewed tomatoes
- 1 c. bulgur wheat
- 2 ¼ c. water
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed or ½ dried chickpeas soaked and cooked
- ½ c. dark raisins
- 1 c. loosely packed fresh cilantro or parsley leaves, chopped
- In a non-stick 12 in. skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and cook, covered, stirring occasionally until tender and golden, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, coriander, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes, bulgur and water. Heat to a boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender (about 20 minutes). Stir in beans, raisins and cilantro. Heat through and serve.